Sunday, May 14, 2017

Nicolas's Story - Part 1

Tuesday, April 25 we went to the doctor for our weekly check up and there had been no progress as far as Nicolas wanting to come out. With a due date of April 29, Norm, the doctor and I decided to wait one more week until May 2 and if there still was no update from Nicolas I would then be induced by the end of that week - possibly resulting on a Cinco de Mayo birthday which would have made Aunt Kerrie the happiest human in all of eternity.

Scared and nervous about being induced, we kicked the walking up. Thursday Norm took me to Target to walk around for a long time - which was one expensive walking trip. 

Friday morning I woke up at 5:00am to use the restroom and when I got back to bed I noticed very mild contractions. Not wanting to waste any sleep, I didn't give them much thought and got back in bed to catch more sleep. When I woke up for the day, the contractions had become a little stronger, so I started timing them and they were all over the place. Norm enforced a family walking trip around the block (we have a very odd and large "block") and to the mailbox and to the little sandlot at the end of our street so Benjamin could play. 

At about 11:00am, when we were at the sandlot, the contractions had become painful but they were still far apart. The doctor said to not worry about coming in until they were 3 - 5 minutes apart.... I was still closer to 8 minutes apart. 

I kept walking on and off, that day, taking little breaks here and there as we waited for my mom to get off work at 3pm so she could stay with Benjamin while we went to the hospital. Meanwhile, I had snacks and took a shower (and even washed and dried my hair! I have a fear of being stuck at the hospital with dirty hair... I don't like hospital bathrooms). 

We got to the hospital at 5:00pm and the nurse told us that I was already 5cm dilated and it was time to get admitted to have this baby! 


Norm went to the car to get the hospital bag as I was taken to the labor and delivery room. The contractions kept getting stronger and stronger, so it became time to get the epidural. The anesthesiologist walked in my room and explained the procedure. Then he went back behind the curtain to wash his hands. Shortly after he disappeared, he peaked back in and said "Mrs. Aldredge, I do have to tell you that all the nurses are talking about is how calm and collected you are for being 7cm dilated! I didn't believe them, but it is true!". That was just so funny, apparently the nurses were impressed on how I managed through the (very painful) contractions... I guess the breathing techniques from those Yoga classes way back when came in handy!

Here I am reading the food menu to see what I am going to have for breakfast the following day (little did I know I was going to be on a liquid diet for most of the following day...)

Everything was progressing so fast that I was nervous that my mom wouldn't get to the hospital in time to start pushing. Thankfully she got there at about 7:30pm, which actually was plenty of time before the pushing started at 10:15pm.

No comments:

Family Picture 2020

Family Picture 2020

Family Picture 2019

Family Picture 2019

Family Picture 2017

Family Picture 2017

Family Picture 2016

Family Picture 2016

Family Picture 2015

Family Picture 2015

Christmas Picture 2011

Christmas Picture 2011

Family Picture 2009

Family Picture 2009
Thanks for reading! Come back Soon!