Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Dear Benjamin the Three Year Old


Dear Benjamin,

Today you are turning three years old and according to everything I am finding on the internet, you are no longer a toddler and you are now a pre-schooler. Seems like you already know this, because when I refer to you as “baby”, you quickly correct me by saying “I no a baby! Nico a baby! I a child!” And according to you, now that you are 3, you are a “growm up”

Oh Benjamin. Our family consisted of just your dad and I (and Pellet and Cali) for so long and then you surprised us. It still seems so surreal that we now have this new life that is full of laughter, cries, squeezes, poop, trucks, rocks, cars, emergency vehicles, car seats, character cups, emergency bathroom runs, bruises, stickers, whistles, cuddles, story times, etc. These last three years have been so much more intense and in a way more fulfilling than all those eleven prior.

You teach your dad and me so much about ourselves and provide plenty of opportunities for us to grow as parents and as individuals. You are one determined, independent, strong-willed child, which makes everything so intense. But you also have a sweet and shy heart. By now, I am pretty much able to figure out when you are crying for attention and when you are legitimately crying because you are hurt or scared. I can tell the level of happiness that you are feeling just by looking at your eyes. Seeing you cry breaks my heart, especially when you are crying because you are being a 3-year old and we are being the parents. You always get me good when you stop crying and say “my tears went away. I make you happy now?”

You are smart. Boy are you so smart. You are intelligent. You have a fantastic memory and are able to tell us pretty much the location of each of your toys at the drop of a hat. You grasp even the tiniest details. The way your brain functions blows my mind. For example, you specifically asked us to invite a little boy from your class to your birthday party here at the house. Once I agreed to invite him, you said “his mommy too”, of course I said his mom would come too. And then you said “his mommy handsome, she come to party too”.

You surely inherited both your dad’s and my recessive genes when it comes to negotiating. When we say “pick 2 cars to bring along” you quickly, and by quickly I mean within one second of us finishing the word “along”, you reply “no, 5” so then it starts “pick 2” “I piiiiiiiiiick 3” and of course you end up picking 2 and we move on. You are willing to negotiate everything, from the number of books at bedtime, to the number of bites of whatever you are eating that may not be your favorite, to how long you get to stay outside.

You’ve learned to ask for permission to watch videos on the phone. For the longest time, you’d ask for the phone to look at pictures. Which you would. For a bit. And then you’d quickly find that YouTube Kids app and launch whatever PAW Patrol or PJ Mask video you first saw. Now, you still ask for the phone to watch pictures – because you love watching pictures and you know how to make the iPhone do those stories, which I still can’t figure out. But after a little while, you come and find us and say “I watch bideo please?” So then we talk about how long you will watch “you can watch videos until it’s time for breakfast (or time to get in the car, or go downstairs, etc.)”. And once you agree, then we turn it on.

Music is your favorite. You love your Monday music class at school and have learned all sorts of fun stuff like playing the drums, the tambourine, the music spoons and the triangle. You can’t be in the car without listening to Nico’s Kindermusik. You ask for specific songs that you like, and you know those by heart. It only takes playing the song one or two times for you to learn the words. You sing throughout the day and you make up words to familiar tunes. Sometimes you even make up tunes. When "Plablo" comes and plays the piano, you sit right there with him and play along. We have all sorts of music shakers all over the house, seems like you always need to have one nearby to make music. The moment your dad's Spotify playlist comes on with his beach music and jazzy tunes, you start dancing!

You are turning out to be an awesome big brother. I could sit and watch for hours the way you and Nico make each other laugh, or the way you play in the tunnel or in your tent. When he is getting into something he’s not supposed to, you quickly yell “no ma’am Nico! No ma’am” (I’m convinced that there must be a little girl at your school that’s constantly being told “no ma’am” by your teachers). Of course more often than not, you decide to hog all the toys, but you are slowly learning to share with him, or like you say “share to him”.

Happy Birthday, Monkey Monks. I can’t believe you have been part of our family for only three years and already three years, both at once. I love you so much more than whatever I can capture on this post.

I love you always,

Mami

No comments:

Family Picture 2020

Family Picture 2020

Family Picture 2019

Family Picture 2019

Family Picture 2017

Family Picture 2017

Family Picture 2016

Family Picture 2016

Family Picture 2015

Family Picture 2015

Christmas Picture 2011

Christmas Picture 2011

Family Picture 2009

Family Picture 2009
Thanks for reading! Come back Soon!