Tuesday, September 18, 2012

We Are All Fruit

This past weekend I went back home and it so happened to be Arts in the Heart of Augusta. I remember growing up we would always go to this festival. So many memories came back when we got to the tent to buy a "ticket" and they gave us a pin badge.... when I was young, I would collect the badges and pin them to my curtain.... 

Moving along... the festival revolves around crafts, music, pottery, art and (most important to me) FOOD. Yes, you can find the hot dog stand and the ice cream stand, but the best part is are the International tents. Spain was serving up Paella:

India was serving these delicious things, I ate one

Here is some action of the Masala Dosa being prepared:

 Delicious!! Seeing those pictures makes my stomach grumble.

As we walked around the various tents (Nigeria, Guam, Germany, India, Turkey, Greece, Spain, Philippines, Thailand to name a few) I started realizing that for the most part, everybody serves the same street food. If it's not some sort of meat on a stick:

It's some sort of fried dough:

Which then leads to something so amazing that I'm still working on wrapping my head around it. All these different cultures, all these different application of spices, different flavors, some strong, some more bland, some spicy.... but deep down, the means to getting the end result is the same, no matter what part of the world it's being cooked at.

And with that my friends, I can't help but to quote one of my all-time favorite movies:
Gus Portokalos (from My Big Fat Greek Wedding): You know, the root of the word Miller is a Greek word. Miller come from the Greek word "milo", which is mean "apple," so there you go. As many of you know, our name, Portokalos is come from the Greek word "portokali," which mean "orange." So, okay? Here tonight, we have, ah, apple and orange. We all different, but in the end, we are all fruit.

No comments:

Family Picture 2020

Family Picture 2020

Family Picture 2019

Family Picture 2019

Family Picture 2017

Family Picture 2017

Family Picture 2016

Family Picture 2016

Family Picture 2015

Family Picture 2015

Christmas Picture 2011

Christmas Picture 2011

Family Picture 2009

Family Picture 2009
Thanks for reading! Come back Soon!