Friday, October 17, 2008

Airport Encounter

Why is it that since I've been working in the customer service industry I've become more critical about the customer service I receive as an individual? I suppose this small problem might be found across the board from one profession to the other. When a chef goes out to eat, he might be more critical about the food than the average diner. Same with a landscape professional, he might be more critical of his neighbor's yard than Average Joe is of his neighbor's yard.

On the way to Rome, I had an awful encounter with an employee of an airline (which is going to remain anonymous because its identity is irrelevant at this point). Needless to say, the encounter (because I cannot say the "service") was ultimately beyond sub-par and the scene was not pretty - I must admit. Part of the dialogue went something like this (keep in mind I was already an unhappy customer at this point because my concern wasn't being addressed):

Fern: the information you are giving me is not what the flight attendant said in the airplane
Girl: the flight attendant and I are in different departments and follow different rules and policies
Fern: both departments should communicate the same information because for me - the passenger - all of you are "The Airline"
Girl: Ma'am, that's not my problem. I don't care.

I think it's pretty clear that I walked away with lots of feelings: anger, frustration (problem was never solved), shock and hours later, as I sat in the airplane, came compassion.

As we are growing up, some of us are lucky to hear our parents say something like - you can be whatever you want when you get older, as long as you enjoy it and believe in it.

Some people, unfortunately, due to circumstances in life cannot have this privilege. They have to get whatever job they can to make a living. Then there are others who jump from one field to another until they are able to find something they enjoy. Lastly there are those who are lucky and fortunate to work in a field they enjoy and believe in right from the start.

I believe that if someone finds themselves in a situation like I described first, they can either A. embrace it and be the best they can be or B. be miserable and a victim.

The encounter that day helped me realize how lucky I am to earn a living doing something I enjoy fully. It also put in perspective my parents' words as I was growing up and I am thankful to them for developing the strong foundation of who I am today. Lastly, it opened my eyes to be compassionate towards people like the girl behind the counter that day - people who are victims of their jobs.

No comments:

Family Picture 2020

Family Picture 2020

Family Picture 2019

Family Picture 2019

Family Picture 2017

Family Picture 2017

Family Picture 2016

Family Picture 2016

Family Picture 2015

Family Picture 2015

Christmas Picture 2011

Christmas Picture 2011

Family Picture 2009

Family Picture 2009
Thanks for reading! Come back Soon!