Friday, March 20, 2009

Exciting Friday Afternoon

On my way home from work, I was driving down my hilly and winding road when I came across a chocolate lab walking right down the middle of the street. I pulled over and called her to see if she had a tag, in the process (of me finding out she had a collar but no tag) a black puppy lab showed up. She also had a collar, but she actually had a rabies tag - nothing else).

I looked around and there was nobody around that could potentially have been looking for these dogs - I opened the door to my car and they jumped right in. Thankfully I was 5 houses away from my house, so it wasn't too big of a deal.

I got home and put them in the backyard right away - they were so happy and friendly!

Once the dogs were safe, my mind started going... I didn't want to call animal control because obviously these dogs belonged to somebody and didn't want to get animal control involved, I called my vet to see if they could help and the annoying answering service said that finding two stray dogs was not considered an emergency in order to page the vet after hours... then she continued to ask a series of questions that made no sense and only caused frustration. Then I called the Humane Society and of course they were closed and wanted me to leave a message. Called the vet's number on the pup's tag (local vet) but they never called me back.

So then my last option was to go on a mad search, door to door. A couple of people said "oh yeah, I saw that chocolate lab walking around earlier today, she looked lost" the first thought that came to my head was "WHY HAVEN'T YOU DONE SOMETHING ABOUT IT" but I just smiled and thanked them and quickly moved on to the next house.

Finally I found someone who knows who the dogs belong to - but of course the owners weren't home "they might actually be gone for the weekend" the neighbor said. So I left a note on their mailbox and I'm still waiting on them to get home and call me... My mad search was actually rather productive - I not only found who the dogs belong to, but also found out that two people from work live really really close to us!

In the meantime, I let Cali out (on a leash) and she played with the visitors rather well. She had a difficult time at first with the older chocolate one but she actually got a taste of her own medicine while playing with the little black one.

And then came Pellet and that was chaos - to say the least. So he went right back to his cage.

Now the pups are outside, I've fed them and gave them water. I'm thankful that it's not hot, not cold and it's not raining. For obvious reasons, I'm not comfortable bringing them in the house, but they are hanging out in the porch just fine.

Here are some pictures and a mini video of our exciting Friday afternoon which is now turning into evening and just might turn into weekend...





I remember years ago when I did not care for dogs - at all. Today, I acted out of pure impulse. I've always thought funny things about people who do exactly what I did today. I felt weird. Very weird. But in a good sort of weird way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so cute! And they look so happy - You did good.

Family Picture 2020

Family Picture 2020

Family Picture 2019

Family Picture 2019

Family Picture 2017

Family Picture 2017

Family Picture 2016

Family Picture 2016

Family Picture 2015

Family Picture 2015

Christmas Picture 2011

Christmas Picture 2011

Family Picture 2009

Family Picture 2009
Thanks for reading! Come back Soon!